Red dates: 400g
Water: 5 cups and 120ml (separately)
Red date sugar/ brown sugar: 70g
Tapioca starch: 240g
Glutinous rice flour: 60g
Water chestnut flour: 30g
Huiji Waist Tonic: 50ml
1. Rinse and drain the red dates, place them in a pot and add 5 cups of water and bring to a boil.
2. Boil them for 30 minutes and let it cool down for 1 to 2 hours.
3. Mash the red dates and sieve to extract the juice.
4. Pour the juice into a pot and add the 120ml water.
5. Add in the red date sugar/ brown sugar and bring to a boil to fully dissolve the sugar. Set aside to cool.
6. Mix the tapioca, glutinous rice, and water chestnut flour into a large mixing bowl.
7. Gradually add the red date juice and stir well.
8. The batter should be 750ml. Take 150ml out and add Huiji Waist Tonic to it. Stir well.
9. You will have two portions, 600ml of red date batter, 200ml Huiji red date batter.
10. Oil a 7 inch baking pan and place the pan into a steamer.
11. Pour about 140-150ml of red date batter into the pan to steam for 8 minutes, followed by 60-70ml of Huiji red date batter.
12. Continue until all the batter is used up. You should have a few layers of. After the last layer is added, steam the cake for 40-45 minutes.
13. After steaming, let the cake cool.
14. Cut the cake into bite size pieces and serve
*Recipe by Meg Tan
Original URL: http://dreamersloft.blogspot.sg/2017/04/steamed-red-date-huiji-layer-cake.html